Wednesday, April 16, 2014

George Update

MOM

I thought I'd update you on George's status since his Stage 3 kidney failure diagnosis.

We came up with another way to give him his sub-cutaneous fluids.  Previously we stood him on a towel on our bathroom vanity, with my husband holding him down then I'd push in the needle in and hold the bag up.  Meanwhile George would back himself up until he was in the sink.  Now my husband sits in a chair holding George on his shoulder like a baby being burped, then I do the needle and bag thing, standing behind the chair.  George tolerates this much better because he's being held by Dad. 

The appetite stimulant pills are working, for now.  He's eating some and we let him eat whatever he wants, including human food such as sliced deli turkey and ham.  As long as he's eating, I don't care what he eats!   The vet said at some point the pills may stop having the desired effect, but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

He's gotten very demanding, more so than he ever was.  So much so, in fact, that I've had to move out of our bedroom to get a decent night's sleep.  Otherwise he'd be meowing and walking on me all night.  Why, you ask, don't you just shut the bedroom door?  We can't because our bathroom and walk-in closet is where the litter boxes and food/water are.   I guess we could try moving a litterbox into the main house area at night, but it's easier for me just to sleep in the guestroom while my husband stays in our room and soothes George.  He's always been a Daddy's boy.

I noticed he's been a little short tempered with the other 3 cats.  Max adores George and tries to be near him whenever he can.  A few times George has slapped Max when Max tried to squeeze in next to him on the couch.  He did it to Tipper, too, when she laid next to him and began cleaning his head and ears.

With us, though, he just wants love and as much lap time as he can get.

Thanks to everyone for the kind words and encouragement in dealing with our sick boy.


13 Comments:

At April 16, 2014 10:52 PM, Blogger Summer at sparklecat.com said...

It sounds like you are doing everything you can for George (and then some!) and he is hanging in there. I am sending lots of purrs his way - I know he must be a bit uncomfortable because he is short tempered with the other kitties.

 
At April 17, 2014 8:42 AM, Blogger Brian's Home Blog said...

Purrs to dear George from all of us. When I have to have fluids my Dad sits on the floor beside a door with me between his outstretched legs. He uses a hanger and hangs the IV bag on the top of the door. The length for the tubing is just right and it works well for us.

 
At April 17, 2014 8:57 AM, Blogger Gemini and Ichiro said...

Purrs to George through all of this. It's hard. Georgia used to need to be soothed. She would often stand on the woman's chest at night and look at her until she woke enough to pet her. We were lucky with the Iggy Cat. He liked to play in the sink so much that so long as we had the faucet on, he was pretty good about the fluids!

 
At April 17, 2014 1:32 PM, Blogger Memories of Eric and Flynn said...

I am sending lots more purrs for George.

 
At April 17, 2014 5:34 PM, Blogger Karen and Gerard said...

Glad George is eating at least and seems to be getting lots of attention. I'm sure you are making him as comfortable as you can.

 
At April 17, 2014 6:07 PM, Blogger Ivan from WMD said...

I'm glad George is doing so well and that you've found a less stressful way (for all of you) to give fluids. When my mom had to give my old sis Sophie fluids, she was so little that my mom made her a little bunting from a hand towel to zip her into first. With Russell, though, Mom needed help (and actually had vet techs give him fluids). Oh, and about foods? My old bro Eddie loved mayo!

 
At April 17, 2014 6:34 PM, Blogger Quill and Greyson said...

Mom here sending you guys a big old hug. I know how hard it is seeing your furry love struggle. Purrs to you all and most to sweet George.

 
At April 17, 2014 7:14 PM, Blogger Just Ducky said...

Sending purrs to George. He wants to be loved, but only on his terms!

 
At April 17, 2014 8:28 PM, Blogger Angel, Kirby and Max said...

It sounds like you are doing every thing to help George and show him he is loved

 
At April 18, 2014 2:41 PM, Blogger ANGEL ABBYGRACE said...

Purrs for George.
Purrs for you and his Daddy.
I understand the challenge (we all do) of a sick kitty.
Here is wishing and praying for the best.

♥♥♥

 
At April 18, 2014 7:56 PM, Blogger Mark's Mews (Marley, Lori, Loki, and Binq) said...

My purrs to Mom and George about the sleeping arrangments. I had that with my parent's cat and his hard days many years ago. ~ TBT

 
At April 20, 2014 12:24 PM, Blogger Sweet Purrfections said...

We're purring for George.

 
At April 23, 2014 7:04 AM, Blogger Sasha said...

we know how hard it is. He is lucky to have caring humans.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Related Posts with Thumbnails